www.pennwrite.com firstname.lastname@example.orgDownload / View this as a PDF
High-energy marketing and creative professional with impressive success in leading the development and delivery of award-winning direct response, web, advertising and video programs for diverse client base ranging from start-ups to Fortune 500 firms in both consumer and business-to-business environments. Dynamic producer and best-in-class writer with expertise in conceiving and implementing innovative strategies and marketing solutions that build brand visibility, convey high-impact messaging, and deliver bottom-line results. Acutely tuned to key business drivers, C-Suite expectations, market signals, media perception, industry trends, and public opinion. Has won more than 120 national and international awards for creative excellence and business results. Talent for developing robust business partnerships and eliciting best from creative and technical partners. Passionate presenter and sought-after national and international speaker on branding, sales, and marketing topics.
- Business Development
- Strategic Planning
- Creative Direction
- Social Media
- Internet Marketing
- Website Development
- Brand Identity
- Direct Marketing
- Client Relations
- Corporate Communications
- Executive Presentations
- Talent Management
- New Market Development
PENN LLC, St. Paul,
Marketing communications consulting firm. (www.pennwrite.com)
Develop and deliver marketing/ consulting creative services, including branding, strategic planning, website content and design, digital video and email.
- Wrote, produced, and directed high-definition, high-end web video for digital marketing campaign launched by New York Mint available by invitation-only to premium clients and broadcast on passwordprotected microsite; video introduced clients to exploding Chinese coin and precious metals market; Footage recut to create exclusive bonus DVD for all buying customers.
- Selected by National Geographic to develop direct marketing creative strategy and direct mail creative for “The Untold Civil War: The Human Side Of War,” one of the most important NGS titles for release in 2011; collaborated with Dr. James I. Roberts, world-renowned Civil War scholar, and Neil Kagan, the book’s equally acclaimed Editor; publication scheduled to launch in October 2011.
PENN GARRITANO LLC, Minneapolis, MN
Full-service, media-agnostic agency born of strong and deep roots in direct marketing/ROI-based marketing; provided best-in-class multi-media marketing solutions to clients.
CEO/Executive Creative Director/Founder
Launched and established creative agency. Provided strategic lead, creative voice, and vision of agency; led development and deployment of creative concepts and platforms in both traditional and digital marketing channels for consumer and business-to-business clients across wide array of industries. Served as agency ambassador to local and national marketing associations; presented at marketing events in U.S., Canada and Europe.
Directly managed staff up to 10, including VP Account Services, VP New Business, VP Creative Director, Production Manager, Sr. Copywriter, Sr. Art Director, Art Director and Graphic Design Manager. Achieved national reputation for record-breaking ROI results by developing and executing best-in-class creative campaigns for Fortune 500 clients and storied brands, including 3M, UnitedHealth Group, Pfizer, American Express, Assurant, Bank of America, National Geographic, Ameriprise, John Deere, Polaris Industries, and Minnesota Twins, among others.
- Launched and grew agency to $5 million in annual revenue and staff of 20 within 5 years by establishing reputation for innovative creative output, sound strategic thinking, and exceptional financial results.
- Named Direct Marketer of the Year in 2001 by Midwest Direct Marketing Association.
- Generated return of $23 million in incremental revenues for on-boarding Deluxe Financial Services’ bank client customers by creating new brand platform and marketing strategy; leveraged $2 million budget to create fully-integrated direct mail, in-box, collateral and POP marketing program and overhaul of strategy, sales tools, and internal and customer-facing communications.
- Facilitated sales force participation increase from 60% to 90% with cost savings of 25+% of initial program structure by completely revamping branding platform, positioning, messaging, creative, and online tools for loyalty/sales forces program for Pfizer Animal Health/Cattle Division; achieved 125% of goals at 75% cost of previous efforts with budget of $200,000; campaign won International Silver ECHO Award, 1st place NAMA Award, and several ARC Awards from Midwest Direct Marketing Association.
- Drove impressive 97% lift in program participation by re-energizing and re-vamping customer care dealer program for Polaris; generated $10+ million, representing 4% incremental growth in sales, for client, and annual agency profits of $750,000; won 3 Gold Arc Awards from Midwest Direct Marketing Association.
- Instrumental in helping Minnesota Twins Baseball Club sell-out of available season ticket quotas for first 2 years in new ballpark and generation of more than $1 million each year in incremental revenue with $280,000 annual budget by creating multi-media B2B strategy employing direct mail, email, microsites, print, radio and TV drops; campaign won Gold ARC Awards in three categories and named Best In Show for year.
- Spearheaded Victory Motorcycles explosive 5-year growth and ranking as undisputed leader in street cruiser category by developing strategy and creative concepts for B2B marketing campaign to recruit new dealerships; generated 25 meetings in first wave and saved client $500,000 by creating multi-contact and highly customized communications stream to select group of qualified auto dealers; campaign won International ECHO Award and 3 Gold ARC Awards.
- Rebranded, renamed, repositioned, and rejuvenated successful online university in Los Angeles to position it for next level of success in highly competitive space and possible sale within next 5 years; maximized multi-million marketing budget to create brand platform, redesign and optimize 140-page website; overhaul entire e-mail communications streams; plan and implement print and radio advertising campaigns; develop range of digital assets; and guide social media efforts of PR agency.
RAPP COLLINS WORLDWIDE, Minneapolis, MN
Division of Omnicom global agency network
Vice President/Creative Director
Recruited to lead new Relationship Marketing division of Minneapolis office. Tasked with partnering with Account Lead to create direct response and loyalty/relationship marketing practice by develop new opportunities and by integrating existing clients with Rapp Collins. Served as Lead Creative; managed and developed 9 direct reports, including Associate Creative Director, Sr. Copywriter, Sr. Art Director and Graphic Design Manager. Led cross-functional teams in delivery of direct, database, and interactive creative services.
- Impacted growth from 600,000 members to more than 800,000 within first year for financial services credit card program by developing and executing brand re-launch with $1.8 million budget; pitched and won business against national competition by focusing on best pricing and offer combination for customers.
- Achieved greater relevance and profitability for Schwan’s Home Service catalogs by leveraging customer research to introduce new look, feel, and marketing strategy, and to tightly tailor and target catalog and online shopping carts.
- Garnered 5.6% response rate and attendant ROI by leveraging direct response television, direct mail, and online ordering service and targeted day-part radio to launch completely new offshoot sub-brand, BackHome Foods, of Schwan’s.
COLLE + MCVOY, Minneapolis, MN
Member of MDC Partners marketing agency network
Senior Vice President, Creative Director
Recruited to create and grow direct response/integrated/interactive marketing group to service existing clients and pitch new ones. Hired and managed team of 10 direct reports. Held P&L for direct portions of Southwestern Bell, Pfizer, DeKalb, Winnebago, IBM and 3M Healthcare accounts, among others.
- Played key role in agency growth within 5 years from annual revenues of $70 million and 85 employees to annual revenues of $300 million and 165 employees.
- Set stage for explosive growth in agency’s new interactive marketing service offerings by leading design and development of agency’s first website.
- Catapulted direct marketing billings of Southwestern Bell account from $3 million to $15 million; createdcompany-wide Ambassador & Service Guarantee Group that completely changed way SWB serviced its small business customers, and by writing, producing, and directing 5 marketing videos.
ADDITIONAL PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE
- ATKINSON GROUP, St. Louis, MO
- DIMAC DIRECT (now DMW Direct near Philadelphia, PA)
- MUTUAL OF OMAHA, Omaha, NE
Senior Copywriter/Copy Chief
PUBLICATIONS / PRESENTATIONS
Contributed content and editorials to:
- Direct Magazine
- DM News
- Target Marketing
- Promo Magazine
- The Minneapolis Star Tribune
- The Omaha World Herald
- The St. Louis Post-Dispatch
- Rolling Stone
- Direct Marketing Association
- Institute of Travel & Meetings (London)
- Canadian Direct Marketing Association
- American Marketing Association
- Business Marketing Association
- Regional Direct Marketing Association
- University of Minnesota
- New York University
- St. Thomas University
- Studio Moderna (Prague)
Bachelor of Arts in Journalism, UNIVERSITY OF NEBRASKA, Omaha, Nebraska
- ECHO Academy of Direct Marketing Arts & Sciences
- Board of Governors and Chair of U.S. Ambassador Program
- Direct Marketing Association, Member
- Minnesota Interactive Marketing Association, Member
- Midwest Direct Marketing Association, Member/Advisor
- American Marketing Association, Member
- International Caples Awards, Judge
- NYU Direct Marketing Master’s Degree Program, Past Visiting Professor
- St. Thomas University, Minneapolis, Past Adjunct Professor of Direct Marketing
- University of Minnesota, Past Adjunct Professor of Marketing